ParkCare and Landcare Coordinator

Maps of the area and information on flora, fauna and features of Bruce Ridge

ParkCare and Landcare Coordinator

PostPosted by Anthony Burton » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi All

Below is an e-mail from Jenny re the park care coordinator position. Will let you know as soon as I do

AB

Hello all,

I will be heading off to Athlon Drive Depot within the next couple of weeks to take up a temporary position of Weeds Ranger – coordinating the environmental weed control program in the southern reserves and hopefully some northern ones also. This position has been advertised and will be filled prior to me leaving – there are some very capable people who will be applying...... It would be good for the new Parkcare Coordinator to meet with some groups prior to me leaving, I am hoping I will have time to introduce the new person to some coordinators. I will send out an email, hopefully towards the end of next week.

I have enjoyed working with you all once again and don’t forget - if you need help with weed identification and control methods, I am more than happy to help out in the future.

Cheers

Jenny Conolly
Parkcare/Landcare Coordinator
ACT Parks and Conservation Service
Stromlo Depot
500 Cotter Road WESTON
Phone 6205 7384
Fax 62072544
Anthony Burton & Associates
environmental|recreational|planning|facilitation

m 0434 612 011 | e anthony(at)anthonyburton.com.au
Anthony Burton

Re: ParkCare and Landcare Coordinator

PostPosted by Anthony Burton » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:19 pm

And the new coordinator is...

Hello to all Parkcarers and Landcarers. Although I’ll be the new Parkcare Officer, you’ll be happy to know I’m not replacing Jenny, only ‘caretaking’ until the end of January. Jenny has asked me give a quick intro of myself, so off we go. I’ve been involved in natural resource management as a volunteer and professional for over 20 years. As an active member of Queanbeyan Landcare for that time, including chairman for a period, I’ve been involved in many onground projects including some serious riparian rehabilitation work, fencing, surveying and the dreaded grant applications. Some of you may know me from the Queanbeyan Landcare Radio show that Tom Baker and I started over 14 years ago. I do enjoy getting out to Floriade as an explainer with the Bush Friendly Garden. As team leader with ATCV (as CVA was called way back then) I was lucky enough to meet a heap of international and local volunteers, drive all over NSW and ACT and carry out conservation work – great fun. I also had a go at leading a Greencorps team for project as well. After this, I ran a business undertaking similar works and was contracted to ACT Parks and Conservation, ACT Forests and NSW NPWS. Since then, I studied a bit more, managed a few tree surgery businesses, went back into tree climbing, then joined ACT Parks and Conservation Fire Management Unit last December, and played on firetrucks until I heard Jenny needed a temporary replacement for a while, and here i am.

It goes without saying that I look forward to meeting as many of you as i can, hopefully on the weekends at working bees. I’ll try to get to as many as I can, but they tell me this is a weekday position, but i’ll think of something. As you can see, I do know what it’s like to be a volunteer, and all the trials and tribulations that it brings. I do, however, know the satisfaction that volunteering brings, and why we do it. Hopefully I can do more than caretake over this period.

See you soon

Philip Selmes
Parkcare/Landcare Coordinator
Stromlo Depot
6204 7384
0409 595 433

Philip.Selmes@act.gov.au
Anthony Burton & Associates
environmental|recreational|planning|facilitation

m 0434 612 011 | e anthony(at)anthonyburton.com.au
Anthony Burton

Return to Maps and Information