2012 AGM Wednesday 18th January 2012 @ Eastlakes

2012 AGM Wednesday 18th January 2012 @ Eastlakes

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi all,

We have been discussing the need to have an AGM at the start of next year. This will give us a clear direction on where we are headed as Friends of Bruce Ridge. With Mullet and Matt leaving us hopefully we will have someone willing to step into their shoes and assist with running the trail days.

I am thinking of the Wednesday 18th January at 7pm.

Options for venues are:
Eastlakes Footy club in Kingston (Compliments of CORC) - beers and snacks whilst we chat
Parks and Conservation Stromlo Depot. - free access, possibility of a snappy ride at Stromlo before or after or head somewhere else for beers.

Things for discussion:

Current format (free flow) or Committee positions.
Trail days (timing, spacing)
Works required - hoping to get some bigger stuff done in 2012 - new DH track
Combining Trail works days with bike Demo days (I have already spoken with Onya and Mal about this and seems to be a possibility)
Sponsorship and grants.
Social rides.
Signage.

Geoff.
Last edited by Geoff Hyde on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff Hyde

Re: 2012 AGM Wednesday 18th January 2012

PostPosted by Craig » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:16 am

I vote for Eastlakes - will probably have my kids so it will be easier to ply them with food and drinks during the meeting :-D
Craig

Re: 2012 AGM Wednesday 18th January 2012

PostPosted by Yo Yo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:49 pm

If the day changes to monday I'll come. But don't change on my account.
Yo Yo

Re: 2012 AGM Wednesday 18th January 2012 @ Eastlakes

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 am

Confirmed

Wednesday 18th January 2011
Venue - Eastlakes Football Club
Time 7pm

Booking is made under CORC and we will be upstairs in the Manuka Room.

See you all there.

Geoff
Geoff Hyde

PostPosted by diverdave » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 pm

At the meeting I was tasked at looking at getting a URL for Bruce Ridge. Happy to announce that I have acquired http://www.bruceridge.org for us for the princely fee of $17 per year.

Dave Williams
diverdave

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Friends of Bruce Ridge (FoBR) Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2012

Wednesday 18 January, 7pm - 10pm
Eastlake Football Club, Oxley Street, Griffith
Manuka Room

Chair
Geoff Hyde

Attendees
Geoff Hyde
Craig Lindenmayer
Anthony Senior
Justin Lenehan (Canberra High School)
Neil Dall (CORC)
Mark McIntosh
Stefan Fuchs
Anthony Burton
David Williams
Harry Brown
Craig Greening
Richard Bontjen
Tim Wong

Apologies
Al Usher
Shane Gill
Rod Yeo
Ria Johansen
Matt Swainson
Pekka Rummukainen
Jo Jones

Progress over the last 9 months
• The group discussed history and progress of FoBR
• Over 9 months FoBR conducted:
o 1 initial trail assessment
o 1 initial trail workshop and working bee
o 1 trail maintenance master class
o 5 trail working bees
Current Issues

Multi Direction Trails
• An issue regarding conflict and accidents due to the multi directional nature of the trails was raised.
• It was agreed that the trails ride well in both directions, and are ridden regularly in both directions.
• It was agreed that sight lines need to be maintained.
• It was also agreed that FoBR should look at duplicating or creating double track (keep left sections) in problem areas.
• The section near the Eastern reservoir on Bruce Four was highlighted as the most significant problem area (K6 on the Bruce Ridge map).

Trail maintenance schedule - frequency and preferences

Working Bees
• The frequency and days for working bees was discussed.
• There was general agreement to focus on the 1st/2nd weekend of the month (avoiding major events in Canberra and surrounding region) and alternate between Saturdays and Sundays.
• There was a general agreement that shorter working bees might secure better attendance, and the group would run some shorter working bees with longer events only scheduled when necessary.
Other Maintenance
• It was questioned whether small maintenance activities could be undertaken outside of working bees.
• It was agreed that a list of small ad-hoc works should be produced and published on the FoBR Forums.
• Volunteers would need to maintain a PCL Volunteer Sign-On Sheet
• Volunteers would need to notify someone (Liaision Officer) and should post the proposed date/time of works on the FoBR Forums.
• Volunteers should report back on any ad-hoc works completed, so the list may be updated

Communication
• Various methods to inform interested parties of events were discussed.
• Recent use of an email list was highlighted as an improvement.
• For future events FoBR should aim to utilise email, the FoBR Forums, FoBR and CORC Facebook pages, the CORC website and newsletter (via info@corc.asn.au), Rotorburn (Bruce Ridge thread), The Berm (Bruce Ridge group), and the FoBR Google calendar (needs to be promoted).
• Additional options to be investigated include EventBrite, COG (Canberra One Gear Society), and Pedal Power.
• Making trail maps of Bruce Ridge available to bike shops in the local area and also online. Currently the trail map is not linked to any other sites.
• Possible pamphlet – Something about FoBR, PCL, map etc.- TAMS media section
• Business card – hand to people interested or seen passing on work days.
• Domain name – Bruce Ridge. If feasible Dave Williams to investigate.
• Mark McIntosh brought to the attention of the group that Glenrock Trail Alliance (Newcastle) does its marketing/website particularly well.

Social ride days

• The social ride at the end of last year was a success and more should be held.

Bike demo days
• The group agreed that a bike demo day in combination with a maintenance day would be a good idea to try.
• Have started initial consultation in relation to this with Mal Adjusted (Niner) and Onyabike (Giant).

Sponsorship of FoBR
• It was suggested that sponsorship could be sourced from a local club, supermarket or bike shop
• This could either be supplies (drinks and food) to support working bees; funding to assist purchases of tools or signage; or money or vouchers as a prize draw for volunteers.
• CORC have offered to assist with some drinks on ice for some working days.
• Canberra High school (Justin Lenehan) is currently setting up a Mtnbike program at the school. He is wanting to introduce trails advocacy as part of the program. He is particularly interested in an adopt-a-trail type system where they take ownership of a particular section and look after it. It was discussed that the technical decent may be the best option to get the youth involved.

Trailhead locations
• A number of options for trail head locations were discussed.
• It was agreed that the best location would be at the entry to Bruce Ridge off the Bruce/O'Connor cycle path on Northern Loop Track maintenance road - where there is a crossing from O'Connor Ridge (O3 on current trail map).
• It was also agreed that it would be ideal to have a couple of smaller trail network signs at other locations that would provide basic info and direct people to the primary trail head sign for more info.

Trail signage
• It was agreed that if funding allowed FoBR should pursue on trail signage including naming, directional markers, warnings and difficulty grade markers.

New trails, significant realignments and closures

Technical Descent (downhill track)
• The issues and concerns regarding the technical descent trail were discussed.
• It was agreed that Bruce Ridge should maintain a technical descent trail, as a need currently exists which is unable to be met elsewhere in the immediate Belconnen area, and there is a risk that if closed another DH style trail may be illegally constructed elsewhere potentially causing a more significant environmental impact.
• It was agreed that FoBR should move to reduce the current environmental impact and safety risks of the existing technical descent trail. In particular, the middle third which passes though a overly sensitive section of Bruce Ridge.
• It was agreed that FoBR should seek advice from a professional trail building organisation regarding rerouting of the middle section.
• Craig Lindenmayer agreed to lead a working group to investigate options for rerouting the technical descent and present some options to PCS.
Southern Trails - Orchid Habitat
• The trails on the Sourthen side of Bruce Ridge were highlighted as an area of concern due to the sensitive orchid habitat. A rerouted trail further south towards Belconnen Way was investigated last year, but this was found to be unfeasible as more orchids were found along the proposed realignment.
• The group discussed potential options for rerouting the section of trail between Bruce Two and Bruce Three (F9 to G8 on Bruce Ridge map) further North on the other side of the maintenance road.
• It was agreed that a proposal for the rerouted trail be discussed with PCL.
Outer Loop
• The outer loop currently traverses the South side of the ridge on the high ground.
• The ascent to the outer loop from the O’Connor side (caravan park) is quite difficult for beginners
• New plan from the West – bring the outer loop down to the Caravan park (map K9) then follow the caravan park around at the base of the hill to join up again around map O5.
Dryandra St round-a-bout link
• Discussed the plan and where it currently is with PCS.
• A trail which links map K9 trails with the marked entry point near the Dryandra St round-a-bout.
Closures
• Yellow trails marked on map – old walking trails. Most are very rutted and run directly down fall lines.
• Obtain map from Greg Baines with suggested closures and check against ground and use to develop final map plan.
• Creek line trail near culvert – saw some opposition. Discussed environmental impact of oil getting into the watercourse. Trail is an inner/outer loop link.

Official positions within the group (President, secretary, etc).
• Potential positions within the group were discussed, and it was highlighted that most other Park Care groups have a contact officer, secretary, and treasurer.
• It was agreed that FoBR does not currently need a treasurer, as no funds are currently handled by the group.
• It was agreed that FoBR does need a contact and liaison officer.
• Geoff Hyde was nominated and accepted as the co-ordinator.

Funding for works during 2012
• It was mentioned that PCL had funding available for some signage this financial year.
• It was noted that budgets for the 2012/13 financial year has been finalised, so additional funding may be difficult to secure.
• It was discussed that PCL may have some residual funding available at the end of the 2011/12 financial year.
• It was agreed that some capital proposals should be produced for PCL by May to seek funding this financial year.

Next Working Bee
• It was agreed that the next working bee should be held on Sunday 5 February 2012, from 8am to 12pm
• Geoff Hyde volunteered to run the working bee.
Geoff Hyde

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:35 pm

diverdave wrote:At the meeting I was tasked at looking at getting a URL for Bruce Ridge. Happy to announce that I have acquired http://www.bruceridge.org for us for the princely fee of $17 per year.

Dave Williams

Fast work Dave. Now how to get it to work. I am no IT guru by any means.

Can you liaise with Craig Lindenmayer on this one.

I will talk with PCL about the funding for the site.

Geoff
Geoff Hyde

PostPosted by autografika_kona » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Gday FoBB,
ive just recently joined this group and was dissapointed that i missed the AGM due to being flat out on a beach up north.
Hopfully i can make make the next working bee and meet afew people.
Just reading the notes from the agm, i think with the help from my work we can help out with supply and construction of trail signage.
Cheers
kurt
autografika_kona

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 am

autografika_kona wrote:Gday FoBB,
ive just recently joined this group and was dissapointed that i missed the AGM due to being flat out on a beach up north.
Hopfully i can make make the next working bee and meet afew people.
Just reading the notes from the agm, i think with the help from my work we can help out with supply and construction of trail signage.
Cheers
kurt

If you were riding some sweet singletrack somewhere you may be forgiven completely although beaches do get you some credits.

5th is the working bee. Will talk to you then. Checked your website and the signs look great.
Geoff Hyde

Return to Announcements / Important Notices