Final Trail map

Planned maintenance activities within Bruce Ridge

Re: Final Trail map

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Al,

Not sure what you mean by the passing lines at D8 – there aren’t any. Safe stopping points and short passing lanes are fairly standard in track building. There are some longer passing lines at Kowen specifically put in for race purposes but pines plantations are low conservation areas allowing pretty much anything you like. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what infrastructure is already built around or in Bruce Ridge as it is a Canberra Nature Park. Conservation is the primary concern for PCL with education and recreation secondary concerns. PCL have stated clearly they want track density decreased. It is up to us as the Bruce Ridge Park care group to meet these objectives as our primary concern.

In short. Passing lines and stopping points are something I can take to PCL. Increasing trail density is something I can’t.

I am not having a go about ‘conflict’ and who directs it. This is the first I have heard. Part of the signage plan is about educating people about sharing the trails. If it is a small minority of people then I see that the majority is doing the right thing. Unfortunately there are people who will act like this regardless of where they are (roads are a good example).

Geoff

On 27/04/12 1:37 PM, "Alistair Usher" <alistair.usher@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Geoff,

Passing lines might help, but they would have to be quite long (like the sort of thing near D8). Stopping points wouldn't help unless you expect people to pull over and wait (not really an option for lean runners in the cold, and not much fun on a mtb either). It's much more effective to enable runners to avoid riders altogether, hence the need for alternate routes.

Note also the "conflict between runners and cyclists" you mention makes it sound two-way. It is entirely one way, and is only coming from a small minority of mtbers. Perhaps making everyone aware that the whole area is shared would be a good idea too - there seems to be a misunderstanding among some that now the trails are formalised they have become 'mtb only'.

Cheers,
Al
Geoff Hyde

Final Trail map

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Marty Kreig from IMBA is coming down to Canberra next week specifically to ground truth all of the tracks on Bruce Ridge. I am meeting up with him and spending a couple of days going over all of the current and planned trails. This is part of the planning process with PCL in preparing their report to government on the project. He will also be able to give us some feedback on work plans and priorities.

He will also be meeting with Odile about signage so hopefully we can progress a bit on that front as well.

Kurt has jazzed up a proposal for a FOBR logo as well. WIll post it up in its own thread for comment.

Geoff
Geoff Hyde

Re: Final Trail map

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Marty Krieg from IMBA will be out on the ridge all this week doing a complete trail audit. Stop and share your thoughts with him if you see him out and about.

Todays efforts included plotting a new line for the descent trail. The plan should flow fast and comply with IMBA standards (sustainable).
Geoff Hyde

Previous

Return to Conservation & Trail Works