Casual Trail Maintenance

Planned maintenance activities within Bruce Ridge

Casual Trail Maintenance

PostPosted by Craig » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 pm

We have had a lot of interest in arrangements for people to do some casual trail maintenance at Bruce Ridge outside of the regular working bees.

What to do
We are planning to produce a detailed list of jobs that can be reasonably and safely done outside the formal working bees, but until then here's some general maintenance activities that can be done when you feel like giving back some love to Bruce Ridge:
Trail drainage - Maintaining trail outslope and gradient reversals (see IMBA links below).
Trimming trail corridor - Pruning trees and shrubs along trail to maintain sight lines and open trail. Use clean loppers or saw to cut branches back to the trunk (no pointy ends!).
Rubbish removal - sounds funny, but people still dump gel wrappers and garbage at Bruce (Don't ask me why?!?)
Weeding - if you can identify weeds, then you are welcome to rip them out (and please take them away if you can).

What not to do
The following things should not be done as part of casual trail works:
New trails or trail realignments - Any new trails or realignments need to be discussed with and approved by ACT Parks, Conservation and Lands.
Cutting down trees (except weeds) - Pruning trees is OK, but cutting them down completely is not OK (as we should just be keeping the current trail corridor open).
Chainsaws - Unless you are a qualified chainsaw operator and have the approval of PCL, chainsaws can not be used within Bruce Ridge.
Building jumps - existing jumps, rollers, etc can be maintained, but don't build any new jumps.

Process
1. Print out a volunteer sign on sheet to take with you and record your time spent onsite.
2. Head out to the Ridge and work your magic.
3. Report back here on the areas where you have been working and the type of works that you have done.
4. At the end of the month, scan and email your completed volunteer sign on sheet to Craig (craig dot lindenmayer at gmail dot com)

Safety
Please read the PCL volunteer guidelines for safety requirements

If you can work with a buddy and/or take a mobile phone with you - just in case you get injured.
Be aware - The trails will be open and there will be others riding, running and walking on the trails, so please be very careful when using tools and allow people to pass.
Be seen - Make sure other trail users see you - wearing a high-vis vest is ideal, otherwise a fluro tie-dyed shirt also works great.
Protective safety - Wear appropriate personal protective gear including sturdy footwear, gloves, protective eyewear and appropriate sun protection.
Keep Fuelled - Ensure you have an appropriate amount of water and food with you.
Weather conditions - Volunteer work in Bruce Ridge is prohibited during a total fire ban or when wind speeds exceed 40kph.

How to maintain trails
If you haven't already, please familiarise yourself with the IMBA trail guidelines, or come along to a working bee to learn about maintaining trails according to the IMBA principles. in the meanwhile here's some of the basics:

IMBA Trail Building Tips

IMBA Designing and Building Sustainable Trails

Thanks for your help, and keep us posted on how you go.
Craig

Re: Casual Trail Maintenance

PostPosted by Anthony Burton » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Guys

This seems like a really good idea. Top work!

I particularly like the idea of taking rubbish away. Why do people think it is OK to drop litter (or indeed just leave a bike tube hanging in a tree?).

Keep up the good work.

AB
Anthony Burton & Associates
environmental|recreational|planning|facilitation

m 0434 612 011 | e anthony(at)anthonyburton.com.au
Anthony Burton

PostPosted by pekka » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks Craig for getting all this organised - the showers this afternoon made me reconsider my riding plans, instead I went to the Ridge with some tools and had an enjoyable couple of hours shaping some nicely damp (and sticky!) dirt. Wondering along the outer loop, I noticed that some of our water diversion work from last June at L2 - L3 had silted up a bit and water had started to run along the track in places. Performed a bit of cleaning out and restoration of the work we did nearly a year ago. Overall it's all been working quite well but does seem to require some periodic maintenance.

The short connecting track going uphill is getting a bit eroded - I'll look at putting in a grade reversal on it to stop the water from causing further damage to the track.

With daylight fading, walked up the track at L3 to the fireroad - bit of a problem spot at where the trail goes downhill from the fireroad (L3-L4). The fireroad has a dip at the point where the trail crosses it and a lot of water flowing down the side of the road seems to end up flowing down the trail, causing accelerated erosion. Anyone have an idea for an effective and permanent way to prevent water from entering the trail?

Pekka
pekka

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Pekka,

It depends on which track you are talking about in L3 - one will stay, one will go. The direct fall line trail is in terrible condition and needs to be closed. The other we may need to look at ways to get the water off the trail. It may be we need to slightly move the entrance point out of the low section of the fire trail. If not then a large grade dip should do the job.

Saw what you had been doing when I was out riding with Craig the other day. Nice work. Clearing out the silt and restoring outslope will be ongoing jobs to keep the trails in good condition. Hopefully if we can get the grade reversals, dips and nicks in the right places we will have less of a problem.

Geoff
Geoff Hyde

PostPosted by pekka » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:39 am

Geoff

I've been looking at the trail that will stay, went out on Tuesday and did a little more water control work on that trail. I think that realignment of the entry point away from the low point on the road would be a good idea, a big roller would also work but might need more maintenance due to heavy wear from riders braking on the roller as they see the right hand corner ahead.

Also had a look at the fall line trail earmarked for closure - currently it channels a lot of water into the area I did the cleaning out work on. Closing and rehabilitating that trail will go a long way to reducing drainage issues on the trails downhill from it.

Pekka
pekka

PostPosted by Geoff Hyde » Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Pruned the blue trail JK45 today. Should make it a little better to ride.
Geoff Hyde

PostPosted by nak » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:00 pm

How'd the working bee go?

I couldn't make it (and generally can't make weekends), but actually got a bit of later in the weekend and spent a couple of hrs pruning veg on some of the trails on the GDE side.
Over the last few years I've been doing a fair bit of adhoc maintenance, closing shortcuts, pruning veg and running water off the track etc etc - reading through the thread on rotorburn it appears as though this is not completely kosher.
Given that I'm unlikely to make weekend working bees, but keen to continue giving something back to these trails, How can I continue this work and not piss off either the land managers or the fobr crew?

Is is as simple as registering as a fobr member to keep PCS happy and filling out the volunteer sheet as described in the first post/. If so where can I get a copy of the sign on sheet and how do I register with FOBR?

Cheers
nak

PostPosted by Craig » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 am

The working bee was huge - we moved over a ton of rock to build up the berms on the new descent trail. Should now be faster and more fun! Just need some rain to pack down the dirt.

If you are working out at Bruce without permission you could find yourself in trouble. First, you are not covered by any insurance so if you damage anything or anyone you could be up for a lot of $$$. Second, if PCS find you out there working without permission, you could be in trouble and cop a fine (again more $$$).

If you can't make the working bees, but are still keen to help, then small jobs like tree trimming and drainage would be great. I can point you to some of the areas that need work. Otherwise, if you have some areas in mind, just let me know where and what jobs you plan to do (just in case we have a working bee planned for the area).

I'll email you a copy of the volunteer sign on sheet. Please keep it on you when working out at BR, and send a scanned copy back to me after you have done work.
Craig

Return to Conservation & Trail Works